It’s become easy for car owners to monitor and scan their cars for problems with the use of a scanning tool. But there are also tuning chips available.
These devices claim to enhance your car engine’s performance, and an example of such a device is the Nitro OBD2 tuning chip.
What is the Nitro OBD2 tuning chip? This is basically a tool that plugs into your car’s OBD2 port to boost the car’s mileage and fuel economy.
Now, you might be wondering if it can do what it claims and if it’s worth it. Let’s find out in our Nitro OBD review.
First, How Do Tuning Chips Work?
Before we look at Nitro OBD specifically, it helps to better understand what tuning chips are and how they work.
OBD2 tuning chips are an easy way for you to increase your engine’s performance instead of having to take out your car’s ECU and send it to a specialist to be tuned, which was the only way for you to improve your engine in the past.
A tuning chip is sometimes called a performance tuner. It gets inserted into your car’s OBD2 port, so it’s easy to plug it into your car so that it can start getting to work.
From that port, the tuning chip will be able to gain information about your car from its on-board computer, in a similar way to how OBD2 scanners work.
If you have experience with using OBD2 scanners on your car, then a tuning chip will be easy to use.
But, some people avoid car tuning chips out of fear that while they will enable your car to go faster, they will also result in greater wear and tear. Is that true?
To find out, let’s check out some common car tuning myths.
Myths About Car Tuning
There are some car tuning myths that you should know about because these usually do the rounds and are assumed to be truthful. Here are two of them.
- Car tuning is bad for your vehicle’s engine. This is not true, provided that the tuning is done properly. If you increase your car’s horsepower this can result in more stress being placed on the units and increased wear and tear of the car’s moving parts, but this doesn’t mean that your car’s engine will wear away faster or become damaged. And, Nitro OBD2 has some features in place that will make you feel even safer to use it, which we’ll get to later on in this article.
- Car tuning can cause increased fuel consumption. While you might assume that making changes to your car’s factory settings will cause more fuel to be consumed, this is actually not true. In fact, the opposite could hold true because your car could better regulate its fuel consumption as a result of its performance being enhanced.
That said, it’s always important to be aware of any fake products that are on the market when purchasing chips such as the Nitro OBD2. These are not of a high quality so you want to avoid them.
What Is Nitro OBD?
Nitro OBD2 is a small device that gets inserted into your car’s OBD port. It’s a small but powerful device that claims to be able to make your car perform better and be more reliable.
It also provides you with information about your car system so you can stay on top of your car’s maintenance.
It will be compatible with all cars made in, or after, 1996 and which are OBD2-compliant.
You can easily find out if your car is OBD2-compliant by checking underneath its hood for a sticker that says it works with OBD2 or by reading the owner’s manual.
How Does It Work?
After you’ve plugged Nitro OBD2 into your car’s OBD2 port, you just have to turn and hold the car’s ignition for half a minute.
Then, turning on the engine will ensure that the diagnostic device can start to scan your car properly.
This chip will provide you with information about your car’s problems, maintenance, as well as performance.
This enables you to diagnose your car’s issues yourself without first having to take your car to your local mechanic as well as boost your car.
Let’s see some other features that make the Nitro OBD worth purchasing.
Best Features Of Nitro OBD
You can use Nitro OBD2 on turbo petrol and diesel cars, which makes it quite versatile. When shopping for Nitro OBD2, the red one is for diesel while the yellow one is meant for gasoline cars.
- It will work on any vehicle that is OBD2-compliant. This means that any car that was made in or after 1996 will be compatible with this device.
- It works based on the remapping of the car’s computer ECU via specialized OBD2 protocols.
- When you drive for approximately 124 to 150 miles, the Nitro OBD2 takes your driving style into account so it can adjust to your car and remap its ECU to increase how well your car performs. This also has the advantage of increasing your car’s power and torque.
- Even though you might think that it’s a complicated system, the Nitro OBD2 is actually really easy to use. You just need to plug the device into your car’s OBD2 port and it will give you fault and error codes because it will immediately start to receive data from your car’s onboard computer. This means that the Nitro OBD2 can start to adjust the fuel amounts, injection timing, and pressure of your car’s engine to make it more powerful without you having to do anything.
- Once you unplug the device from your car’s OBD2 port, the car will return to its factory settings. This is great because it prevents the device from making any permanent adjustments to your car, so you don’t have to worry about making changes that you can’t then undo. It also means that you won’t have to follow a set of steps to return the car to your factory settings, which is user-friendly.
- This tuning chip has been designed with a protective engine function so that it’s safe for your vehicle. This will make you feel more confident about using it.
So, How Well Does It Work?
It’s fine and well for Nitro OBD to claim that it can increase your car’s performance, but does it really achieve this and by how much?
Reports have noted that Nitro OBD can increase your car’s power by up to 35 or more percent and increase its torque by up to 25 or more percent. That’s pretty impressive!
What About Its Cons?
Despite all its excellent features and how it works well to increase your car’s performance, you might be wondering about any possible drawbacks you might encounter with the Nitro OBD2 device. Let’s explore some of its most common and important drawbacks.
- One of the things that have been noted by people who have purchased this product is that it doesn’t have clear instructions. This can make it difficult to know if the tool is working optimally as well as try to understand what its various lights mean. This can be further complicated if you’ve never used a tuning chip before.
- There’s not much information about NitroOBD2 online. This can further make it difficult to troubleshoot the device, as you will have to try to find and read up on problems you experience in various forums.
- There are some mixed reviews from people who have used Nitro OBD2. Some people have found no improvements on their vehicles, while others have. This can make it tricky to know if this tuning chip is worth it for you, especially because the Nitro OBD2 manufacturer states that this tuning chip is compatible with all OBD2-compliant vehicles. So, unfortunately, you’ll have to test it out yourself. It’s worth noting, however, that all car tuning chips will vary in their performance when used on different cars, as they will work well on some car brands while not as great on others.
Tips For Using Nitro OBD
We’ve already mentioned that you have to simply plug the Nitro OBD2 device into your car’s OBD2 port and it will start working. But, here are some tips that will make it easier than ever to make the most of it.
- If you can’t find your car’s OBD2 port, here’s a hint: it’s usually found underneath the steering wheel. It might be underneath a protective cover or latch.
- When you’ve inserted Nitro OBD2 into your car’s port, put the key into your car’s ignition and turn it to the second click. This puts the engine on without starting the car. Once you’ve done that, you should press the reset button for five seconds. Then, wait about a minute. This is an important step to make the Nitro OBD device start communicating with your car’s engine in the right way. Be patient so you don’t rush the process and end up without getting the results you want. Once you’ve done the above, you can go ahead and start your car’s engine.
- Don’t forget that you have to drive for approximately 150 miles for the device to start matching your driving habits with some of its own adjustments to make your car work better.
Is Nitro OBD Right For You?
If you want to increase your car’s performance, you should try the Nitro OBD2. This is also useful to help you diagnose potential problems with your vehicle, so it has more than one purpose.
In addition, it’s worth noting that engine remapping can be valuable for anyone to do on their car.
Most cars have their performance features taken down a notch when they leave the factory, and this can be as a result of various factors, such as economy or emissions regulations.
That said, you have to be careful when chip tuning your car because it can result in increased car’s emissions.
In addition, bear in mind that such performance chips can increase how much insurance you need to pay on your car! So, these factors might make you decide that car chipping isn’t really all that worth it for you.
Is remapping bad for your car warranty?
Since the remapping software is rarely created by the car’s manufacturer, this could void your warranty.
Why don’t car manufacturers use car tuning if it’s safe to do so?
It’s not cost-efficient for car factories to fine-tune cars because they strive for standardization to ensure that they balance quality with investment.
It’s really up to you to decide if you want your car’s factory settings or not.
If you’re looking for a device that can monitor your car for any problems and also boost your car engine’s performance, you might be tempted to purchase a tool such as the Nitro OBD2.
But is it worth it? After reading our Nitro OBD review you now have more information about this product so you can make a better-informed choice.
Ultimately, car tuning chips sometimes get a bad rap but they can be beneficial. There are many people who have purchased Nitro OBD2 and found that it worked to improve their cars’ performance.
If this is a device you want to try, go ahead, but just make sure you purchase a genuine Nitro OBD2 device for the best results and to keep your car safe.